May 20, 2017 - May 21, 2014
EXPLORING ABSTRACTION WITH CHRIS GROVES
STUDIO COLOR NOTES and RE-DEFINITION OF DETAIL
Saturday & Sunday, May 20 and 21, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
This workshop is intended to help push the artist toward a more streamlined method of painting. The class will focus on the subject of color by creating many simple Color Notes. We will then move on to taking traditional ideas of painting and re-defining their meaning by painting on a more abstract level. Eliminating visual detail and moving to a more abstract level of painting does not mean forgetting everything one already knows of traditional methods. We will discuss how to think differently about the elements of your painting, no matter the style.
The class will cover:
1. Color Theory, color relationships to create emotion in your paintings.
2. Simplifying your palette by using a teardrop color chart to help determine solid color combinations as well as picking correct under-painting colors.
3. How to use dominant color and saturated color combinations in support of a painting's theme.
4. Exercises on how to use color in order to determine location and time of day.
5. Using Edges and Line correctly to create stronger paintings.
6. Demos and in class exercises on reductive simplification.
7. Gesture and the relationships between the most important parts of the painting.
8. Exercises in “Adjusting” Color, shape, tone and edge in order to maintain the initial intention of one's painting.
9. Focus on composition as an underlining theme of these more abstract pieces.
Class will end with a critique of the works created during class.
The workshop is limited to 12 students. A materials list will be provided.
Full payment is due upon enrollment.